The State Theatre in Kasson first opened it's doors for business on Thursday, February 25th, 1937 on west main street. It was built by Henry Workman, and originally managed by William Forkey.
The sound absorbent material and sound/projection equipment were considered state of-the-art, rivaling any big city theatre. The modern front design of this theatre, was regarded as a noteworthy achievement in modern architecture of that era.
Tickets prices were Adults 25 cents / Children 10 cents, and on Sundays and Holidays - Adults were 35 cents.
By 1967, television had become America's entertainment staple, and the theatre's popularity waned, and it was closed in 1967. It was then sold to the Lutheran Church in Kasson, and had been home to several churches over the years, last owned by the Kasson Church of Christ.
In the summer of 1998, Nicole Bjerke and sister Heidi Alberts, purchased the building, completed it's extensive remodeling, and opened it in November of that year.
The remodel included seating for 250, a small side room for private parties, the largest curved screen in southern Minnesota, and a Dolby Surround Sound system.
Over the years, Nicole and Heidi have worked hard to make the theatre a family place with a "small-town feeling", while bringing big city movies to Kasson.
In March of 2020 right before the COVID shutdown, Nicole and Heidi sold the theatre to Darin S. He is from the KM area and started Minnesota WiFi in 2012, a successful internet provider in 6 counties. Darin is making repairs to the roof and stucco, completed new lobby flooring, will be updating the paint job, and making other improvements to the theatre to keep it updated and in great condition. Future projects include heated, leather recliners and a second small screen so we can show two movies at once.
Bringing friends, families and loved ones together
No cellphones during the movie
Keep talking/noise to a minimum
Be respectful of others
Let staff know if you need help